Tried my hand at freehanding a pattern for silk screening, for the first time this weekend. I found a small picture of a pineapple online and used it as a guide. Obviously it came out looking completly different
Since I don't have my board all set up yet with the hinges and everything, I decided to just wing the whole thing and I put all three steps onto the first screen. Clearly not my best idea, but I was running on 3 hours of sleep and it seemed feasible at the time.
Seeing as I did no measuring or linning up of any elements they were a bit hap hazard, but I decided to roll with it and just kept going. I print a couple on some cards I had made out of mixed media paper and then just one big poster sized one for fun.
It made a hella mess and wasn't as precise as I would have wanted (the gold detailing in particular did not come out well) but I feel like it has a certain amount of charm and will still make the recipients rather happy.
Also, heads up to people trying this, the drawing fluid/ screenfiller method needs its own cleaner. The speedball kit I bought ( http://www.amazon.ca/Speedball-Super-Fabric-Screen-Printing/dp/B00251JO8G) comes with cleaner for the photo emulsion method but not the drawing method. So I had to run out and buy cleaner. Good news is that its cheap (5$) and still washes off 4 days after you make the screen.